Most of the people, nowadays, use antivirus software on their Windows devices to protect them from potential malware threats and other harmful viruses that could infect your system. For this purpose, they refer to opting McAfee antivirus because it is not only easy to use but also delivers high performance and desired results. They also opt for it, because it can be easily downloaded on a PC and can be used on different operating systems. The people who are using any version of Windows can use it without having to do much. All they need to do is navigate to www.mcafee.com/activate and install the desired McAfee product on their device.
Despite having a number of amazing features, this product could become the cause of headaches by giving technical glitches during the installation or downloading process. However, these glitches can be easily eradicated by following some easy workarounds. But, before that, it is essential to know the cause behind this error.
What causes McAfee installation error to occur?
Flowing are the main causes why one might be facing the installation errors on his Windows device:
- First of all, the error could be arising because of the incompatible device. If your device doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements, then you are sure to come across installation errors.
- If your device has any incompatible third-party firewall or software installed on it, then it could also hinder the McAfee installation process.
- Other than this, in case the operating system of your device is outdated and you haven’t updated it for a while, then the installation errors will not spare you.
Try these resolutions to fix the error
Solution 1- Run the McAfee pre-install tool
The said tool helps your PC get prepared for the installation in case it is not ready otherwise. Generally, you do not need this tool if the software gets installed easily. For this purpose, you need to download the pre-install tool on your device:
- Navigate to the official website of mcafee.com/activate.
- After this, find the pre-install tool and then download it.
- Once it gets downloaded, save it to the desired location.
- Double-click on the downloaded file i.e. Pre-Install_Tool.exe.
- Now, follow some easy prompts and click OK on the warning message.
- Finally, click Close and then restart your system.
Again, try to install your software and see if the installation goes right or it fails. If it fails, move to the next method.
Solution 2- enable account with administrator privileges
Sometimes, when you log in with a Windows account that does not have necessary permissions, the installation might get failed. In this scenario, if you use admin account, then you might be able to all the services and install the software easily. Follow these steps to enable admin account.
- First, click on the Start option.
- In the search bar, you need to type cmd.exe.
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ from the search results.
- Now, click ‘Run as administrator’.
- Now, enter the following command and press ‘Enter’.
net user administrator /active: yes
- In the next step, press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together.
- Now, log off from Windows by clicking on the sign-out option.
Again try to install your McAfee software and see if you can do so or not.
If the installation still fails, you need to clean each bit of failed installation and then install the software again. For this purpose, you can use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR). It will remove the leftover files so that you can download the software afresh.
Reference: McAfee Software Error: Installation Incomplete