PC viruses are the pieces of computer code, made to implant itself within files or programs with the intention of changing or destroying the transmitted data. Viruses can easily spread via interchanging the programs or files, loaded on a computer. Various kinds of viruses that commonly attack your computer are:
- Viruses: The tinny program, which attaches itself with other documents or programs.
- E-mail viruses: Such viruses run around via email and generally replicate themselves through automatically mailing to the addresses in the address book of the victim.
- Worms: It is the program, which search a tiny hole in PC network security, replicate themselves on other systems on that network
- Trojan horses: It is a PC program, which pledge to perform some other task but instead performs other like delete your hard drive
How does virus get in your PC and multiplies
The very first and one of the most common methods of making your PC virus infected is through downloading a program from some unknown source and use it. Second method of inviting virus on your system is by opening some unidentified file attachment from e-mail. Sharing infectious files from someone else's PC to yours may also make your PC infected. Even opening, video and audio files or an electronic greeting card might also attack your PC with virus.
Signs of virus attack
When virus infects your PC, the most general symptom you may notice is the slow performance of your PC than usual or the system lock up or stop. Few other noticeable signs indicating your PC being attacked by virus are:
- Your PC crashes or restarts again and again
- The system does not run adequately
- Applications of your PC functions improperly
- Hard disk or drives are inaccessible
- Strange error messages pops up
What types of damages can happen to your PC
The destruction a computer virus does, depend upon its type. Some common damages that a PC may experience are the alteration or deletion of files. Several viruses will delete all the files and even without notifying, reformat your system's hard drive. While some viruses might steal private information such as account numbers, credit card numbers or passwords. Additionally, other viruses might change the security settings enabling the hackers to access your PC and take information. Viruses like worms greatly infect the networking of your computer.
Methods to keep your PC away from viruses
The first thing you can do is, not open the files in attachments that you receive in your e-mail by some unknown address. Prior to copying any sort of file onto your system, make sure to scan it with the anti virus program. In case if, you are downloading some file from Internet, first copy it on your hard drive, properly scan it before running or opening it. The finest defense against the harmful computer viruses is to install a anti virus program, which will automatically scan all of your emails and act like a firewall plus will keep you up to date with the recent viruses.
Copious of software programs are accessible to detect, prevent and kill the computer viruses on Internet. But, before selecting any one make sure, it performs its task properly and is reliable.